![]() |
| maybe I need one of these... |
My sleep-talking didn't disturb anyone else's slumber until I got married. The first night of our honeymoon, Jordan and I got to our beach house at about midnight after driving for ten hours. We were both beat, so we went straight to bed. In the middle of the night I sat bolt upright and woke Jordan with my shouts of "hey, hey, HEY!" We were driving off the curving Oregon road and I thought we were going to smash into the side of a hill. Fortunately Jordan was so tired that I didn't alarm him too much this time, and he very calmly assured me we were safe and most definitely not driving into a mountain. Unfortunately, there would be many more nights ahead in which my shouts would scare the heebie-jeebies out of him. Like the time I was just positive that the stove was tipping over, and I had to catch it. Or the time I thought Jordan had learned telekinesis and he was moving huge pieces of lumber around our bedroom and was about to plow my face with one.
These episodes don't really compare with the one I had last night though. But this one wasn't funny, because I was dreaming that Jordan was dying. Not in a car accident or in a hospital, but right there beside me. He was gurgling and choking, and I knew that his heart was giving up and his face would be purple if I could see it in the dark. I woke up grabbing Jordan's shoulders and saying "no, no, no!" Jordan mumbled something incoherent in response to my shaking, shifted and then fell instantly asleep again. I wrapped my arms tightly around his slumbering body and waited for the blood that was pounding in my ears to calm, and as I did so I said a prayer of gratitude that it was only a dream.
Usually during these dreams I am somewhere else, or something completely ridiculous is happening, so it was far more alarming for my dream to so closely mimic reality. I hope that if Jordan is destined to leave me like that in the night, it isn't for many, many, many more years.

I seriously am laughing my head off! Warren does the same thing you do... and once he even thought my shoulder was a chicken leg and started biting it.
ReplyDeleteThat is a sad dream though. Sometimes it sucks when you think that someday that might actually become reality.