Thursday, May 6, 2010

You’d think I would have learned my lesson by now…

When I was preparing for my study abroad to Wales, I did extensive research on good shoes online. I decided Keen shoes would be my best bet, so I went to REI and tried on a pair of the brand to see exactly what size fits, and I scanned the web for good prices. My patience paid off when I found a pair of Keen Presidios for about 75 percent off. SCORE! They were wonderful for my trip and I still love them.


After this fantastic experience buying shoes online, I decided to try finding something else. I have always been curious as to why people love their Crocs, so on a whim I visited their website. The classic clog things that everyone loves (but that I think are ugly) were there, but there were also some pretty cute shoes that surprised me. I found this pair in the clearance—cute, sandal-like flats for only 13 bucks! Because they were clearance, only the smallest and largest sizes were available. I decided that I could fit into a 5 (my foot is 8.5 inches long when I’m not standing on it…) and Jordan gave me the go-ahead, so I ordered a pair. They came today and, what do you know, I think they are a little too small.

I have learned this lesson too many times to count. I simply cannot be impulsive when shopping for clothing. Or anything for that matter. Some people can find things on sale that they love like magic—flipping through the clearance racks at the store and BAM they fall in love and never regret their purchase. I am not so fortunate. Almost every time I have bought something on a whim or without trying it on I have hated it. Never worn it again, ferreted it in the back of the drawer or the closet, wanted to burn it.

So why shouldn’t this situation have been any different? I hesitated before ordering the shoes; what if they don’t fit? Is it worth getting something on clearance? Apparently not. I should have listened to my instincts…

No comments:

Post a Comment