Thursday, April 8, 2010

Laundry Day

Today was laundry day.
That means taking advantage of the people in the area who really love us--Bethany, Jason, Jaclyn.

Someday I hope laundry will mean clean clothes every day if I wish, and fresh flower scents in my sheets and pillowcases, and warm blankets and towels from the dryer to warm me and my family all through the cold winters, and white shirts pinned to a line moving gently in the bright sunshine. My laundry room will be an inspiring tribute to peace and tranquil cleanliness and it will be a pleasure to spend my time there.

But more than likely laundry will become just another chore. Another load, another box of detergent, another bottle of bleach to get rid of the kid puke and food spills and sweaty stains. The laundry room will be a mass of ragged towels and muddy shoes waiting for their turn, either for cleaning or for trashing. Someday, you are all thinking, I will realize all these truths about laundry, and the pins holding those pristine shirts to the line will break and the shirts will fall in the mud. More items to add to the ever-present and never-diminishing laundry pile.

But I can always put the shirts back on the line and hope they'll stay up, at least until they are mostly dry.

2 comments:

  1. You haven't taken advantage of my laundry machine lately but I am glad you know you are welcome to come! Laundry is an constant battle of good versus soiled. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are right, i do love you.

    and

    don't give up on laundry. it is still my favorite 'chore' even after doing hundreds of loads full of kids clothes soaked in 'spray and wash'.

    ReplyDelete