Monday, June 20, 2011

Salem

Tonight we took a refreshing little jaunt down to Salem Pond, about half an hour south of Provo. I think that part of Utah is quite beautiful. The mountains there look like something from Middle Earth, especially right now all covered in green. When Jordan goes golfing that direction at Spanish Oaks I think it's funny to pretend he's taking a quick trip over to the Shire.

The pond was a pleasant place surrounded by a neighborhood, a park, and the Salem Library. The library was celebrating its ten year anniversary tonight, so we were serenaded by singers and a lively local orchestra the whole time we visited. It was quite fitting, since I was reading a book called The Sandy Bottom Orchestra while Jordan fished. The Russian olive trees smelled divine, the sun was just right, and I loved listening to all the ducks and geese chattering away on the water. It felt like an idyllic evening in small-town America, but the showtunes the orchestra was playing also gave the whole trip a sort of strange, almost Steven King-esque surreal feeling. Jordan said he half expected someone to come up to us as we were packing up and ask in a creepy voice with a curious tilt of the head, "Leaving so soon?"

Also, we fished near my dream home. I love the turret. That probably makes me hopelessly romantic and silly, but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment